Name:
Location: Japan

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Travelling

I have too much to tell.
I went to Osaka, and I took pictures.
I also put up some pictures from Kyoto (Christmas-time), but you will have to ask me for those. They were not taken on a camera, but on my cell phone, so the quality is not high.
What did we do in Osaka? Hm, I have to think to remember, because the memory is shadowed by my newer more awesome memories of South- and North-Korea. Anyway. Osaka. Osaka Osaka.
We were a group of five people, me and Bart, Nika, Even, and Julia. Five different people from five different countries. We started by taking the ferry, just like I did with Bart and Nika for Christmas, and started looking for our hostel or a place to eat, whichever we would find first, but we had two major problems. 1. We didn't have a map of how to get to the hostel. We knew which subway-station to get off at, but not which exit, and we had no idea in what direction we were to walk. 2. It was before 7am, and not many places are open at that time.
But we were incredibly lucky! After walking one street and turning back, we found a café that was open! We didn't really like what they had to offer (toast with butter and coffee), so we walked a bit further, and there we found another one, also open, where we could get a Japanese style breakfast! :D I took a picture of it.
And by pure chance, the hostel we were had booked happened to be next door. It was perfect!
We all got separate rooms, and the girls had to stay at an all girls floor. No men allowed. But we could all hang out in the guys rooms and in the lobby sofas where there was internet, and make plans there.
We went to the zoo, and I have tons of pictures from there. Tons means too many. Everyone went up into a weird oval-shaped, yellow ferris wheel. Except me of course. I have only once done that, in a children fun-park, so the wheel wasn't even that high, but I swore I would never do it again.
It's raining outside right now. Eugh.
Then later, the guys found the tallest ferris wheel in the world, and they just had to try it. Me and Julia both stayed on the ground. We didn't really know the whereabouts of Nika at the time. We lost her in one of the biggest cities of Japan.
We found the coolest ninja store, where they sold old-fashioned ninja underwear, among other things, and got to try real throwing-stars. Shuriken is the word. Now I am the (proud?) owner of a rubber throwing-star I got as a present. I'm not that good with throwing-stars. I prefer guns. I was pretty good with that rifle when we got to try it shooting plastic bottles and trash from the sea, back in the country-side of good old Iceland.
Aah, I kindof miss my friends from back home. Guys, why aren't you here?!
We also went to the aquarium in Osaka. That aquarium is considered very good, and some of us were very exited and looking forward to seeing the whale-shark that they have there, and we were all kind of bummed when we saw the baby whale-shark. Not even close to the 12 meters we were expecting.
One day, me and Julia set out on our own, leaving the others behind, to take a look at Osaka Castle. It is considered a real gem, as it is the only castle in Japan that has not burned down since the 16th century. But it has gone under some face-lifting procedures. I have pictures, and they are amazing. Especially the ones from the Plum Grove in the castle gardens. I use one of them for my desctop now.
And all the time, the sun shone, and the weather was in general so good, so very beautiful.
Plum trees in bloom smell wonderful. I cannot describe it how the Plum Grove smelled.
The day after, there was a day-trip to Nara. I have already been to see the Nara deer and I didn't want to spend my precious few thousands yen on another trip, so I stayed behind in Osaka, and had a nice day of walking around the city, sightseeing.
Hm, what did we do more?
Don't really remember. I'm just going to put up the photos and put them on my picasa album.
I promise to blog again soon, because after I came home from Osaka, I went on another trip, this time with Mylène and Even, to South-Korea. And I took pictures there too. See! I'm getting better at this! ^_^

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Það væri æðislegt að geta fundið lyktina a plomutrjam í blóma:) Vildi að myndavélin þín gæti nað henni :)

Sunday, March 09, 2008  
Blogger Solveig said...

Ég óskaði þess líka þennan dag :)

Sunday, March 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You also went on a ferris wheel in Tivoli!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008  
Blogger Solveig said...

Was it in Tivoli? It was the childrens' section then, because it was a small one. And I swore never to do that again!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home