Name:
Location: Japan

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Do I need a Title?

I'm alive, I'm alive. I'm still here.
(I just read my blog over and realized that my sentence structure is weird.)

We were learning very interesting things today. We were learning how to ask for things, like 'could you please open the window?', and 'please do your homework', and 'please die'. Then we learned sentence structures like 'after I had brushed my teeth, I went to bed', and 'after they put the baby to sleep, they drank alcohol'.

The 5th Tenku Festival was held this weekend, here at APU. It's a two-day festival organized by students where you can try out cooking from all over the world (read: Asia), listen to school bands, go to lectures about approximately everything, go to a haunted house, there's a flea market, Fair-Trade Café, face-paint, and much more. It was great.. The campus was filled with tourists from all over. Not only from Beppu, but Oita and Fukuoka as well. At the end, they had fireworks (they were an hour and a half late). Fireworks with background music. And the Lilies, the cheer-leading club had a performance below... Now that was just weird. What would you focus on, if you had the choice; amateur cheer-leaders in the dark, or the coloured lights of fireworks in the sky?
This was the first time that I have ever heard 'oooooooh!'s, and 'aaaaaaaah!'s, and cries of wonder during a show like this.

My stomach is full of Pocky.... But that's ok, because I can finally go to the gym! Yatta! ^_^ Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, there was a boy and a girl who were on their way to the Gym Guidance Session in F building at APU. When they reached F tou (building), they couldn't quite remember if it was on first or second floor, so they took a quick round of the first floor (helping a lost fellow student on their way to find her way) before they went up the stairs to the second floor. What greeted them there was not a happy sight. A small group of students had gathered in front of the (closed) doors of the Gym Guidance Session Room, pleading a very strict looking young woman to grant them the honor of entrance. But a shaking of the head was all they got. The boy and girl were too late. They would not be allowed to enter the Guidance Room under any circumstances now. They were, after all, three minutes late.
And thus, my dear children, the boy and girl learned how to be punctual, because now, they had to wait another two weeks before they could go to the Guidance Session to get permission to enter the holy building of G tou (more commonly known as the gym). Since then, Bart and Solveig, because those were their names, have been going every day to G tou to exercise and work out. Hontou. Really. *cough and crickets*
I even bought shoes for the thing, and a toul. Because you're not allowed in the gym unless you have indoor-shoes and a toul. You know, a toul, to dry yourself with... Reminds me of the erectric pot they have at the Coop...

I'm having a test in half an hour. Then I'm thinking of actually going to the gym. For real. It's a pop-quiz by the way.
I had a midterm exam in Social Theory last Monday. I was so scared of it because I couldn't answer but one or two of the fifty questions the teacher, Progler-sensei, gave us to study for the test, and I had no idea where to look for the answers. One question bothered me in particular, because I could only remember half of the answer, and of course that question came up on the test. The question was What was so controversial about Galileo's theory about floating ice? All I could (can) remember is that because his theory was against Aristotle's theory, the Church was angry, but I just can't remember why.
Well, the midterm was a multiple choice, so I could guess. Or more than that, because the other options were just silly jokes, really. And the answer was this: Because his theory went against Aristotle's theory.
...
I personally don't think that that is an answer, but ok... I got equivalent of 8.8 out of the test. 35 out of 40. Yatta! again.
Then I had midterm in Japanese on Thursday and Friday, and we got the results today. I only made one mistake in the reading kanji part, but that wasn't because I didn't understand the kanji, it was because I tend to mess kokonoka and nanoka up. That was the only mistake in the kanji quiz. But then we had this reading about a girl from Thailand going to Japan and trying to read a history book for 6th graders in Japanese but there were too many kanji and it was difficult so she couldn't do it on her own. We got the question Why was she not able to read the book? and I said it was because she didn't understand the kanji, because she was from Thailand. But no, that was wrong, the answer was because there were many kanji and it was difficult. Am I thinking too far here? The kanji were difficult because she was Thai, right? But the teacher doesn't agree with me, boo hoo :( I only got 6.5 out of 8. That's 80%, but still. And just the sight of a red 6.5 on my test paper makes me think that I have failed. I'm used to the number being out of 10, and not 8, so it makes me feel bad to see it. I can't control it. And I only made two mistakes in the grammar part. Go me!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger adda said...

Hæ Solveig
Gaman að sjá hvað það er gaman :-)
Ég skrapp hins vegar austur í Skaftárhrepp, að Flögu, og lærði í leiðinni nýtt orðatiltæki: "Það bryddir á Barða" Það er nokkuð passlegt fyrir mig, hætti mér ekki mikið í kanji - in þín.
x adda

Wednesday, October 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, góð spurning og betri rökfræði hjá þessum kennara :P Þetta er alveg útí hött að reyna að fá svar við þessu ^^
Nokkur aukasvör sem ganga;
"Stelpan gleymdi gleraugunum sínum heima"
"Því það helltist mjólk yfir bókina og hún var ólæs"
"Vegna þess að sá sem skrifaði bókina gerði random tákn á blaðsíður" ^^

Wednesday, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Lára Magnúsardóttir said...

Mig langar til að vita hvað -Það bryddir á Barða- þýðir. Og að Solveigu gangi vel í skólanum:)

Wednesday, October 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home